Monday 20 January 2014

Reilgious Accommodation in the University offends Women

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/01/13/york_universitys_religious_accommodation_decision_the_correct_one_dean_writes.html
The York University dean who approved a student’s request to be removed from a group project with women now has “sincere regret” over the controversy, but stands by his decision. In a letter emailed to university colleagues on Jan. 10, 2014, dean of arts Martin Singer said he saw no other option but to approve a controversial request, made on religious grounds, by a student who wanted to avoid a group seminar with women.
In a letter emailed to university colleagues, dean of arts Martin Singer said he saw no other option but to approve the request, made on religious grounds. “I want to assure each of you of my unwavering commitment to gender equity and of my sincere regret that, given the specific circumstances of this request for accommodation, I was obliged to conclude that the student’s request had to be accommodated,” Singer wrote in an email sent Friday. “I wish I had had another choice, but neither I, nor those who advised me, believe that I did.”
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2014/01/18/accommodation_issue_shows_human_rights_principles_are_working.html

No comments:

Post a Comment