Monday 5 August 2013

Speaking in tongues

A recent post from FB by a popular singer
So picture this scenario guys: I was waiting in line to pay for my groceries. The lady in front of me got upset with the cashier because the cashier asked another employee a question in their own language. So this lady called for the manager and requested to have the cashier written up/reprimanded because she spoke another language other than English in her presence. IS SHE FOR REAL??? Hello, we live in Canada, the land of the free, the land of cultural diversity. I was royally pissed and disgusted by what I witnessed.

Well this post generated a lot of response from all sides of the fence.  I think this statement will resonate with a lot of immigrant women and their families for whom English is not their first language.
This is an issue that is trending at the moment. It seems like co-workers do not like to hear languages other than English spoken in their earshot while at work or while being served.  How do you feel about the fact that others are offended when you speak in your mother tongue to someone with whom you share the same language.

Do you think this is reasonable?  How do you feel about this.  Please I want to hear from you:
These are some of the comments that were on FB (Face book)

A: OK, just to play devil's advocate. Maybe the customer was uncomfortable with people talking in front of her in another language. Perhaps she felt as though they were talking about her. You know the uncomfortable feeling you get when you walk into a room and people start to laugh. Chances are, it's not at you but you feel like they are. Having said that, repremanding the employee and making a huge scene like that is wrong too.
 
IF: That's so silly! If someone can speak your language and you have an english barrier it's better to have some who speaks your language is better than not getting the help you need. Nothing is always about you.
  • C: Canada does have Heritage Language Law rights for non-English or French speaking people. They have a right to speak and have their language learned in a classroom getting, church or home. The law does state, however, that only one of the two Official Languages be spoken in public. So I am with the customer, only English or French in public places where people are being served. It is the right thing to do. 2¢
  •  

    Chris: ya, sure the customer overreacted but why would the two employees choose to speak a language that they obviously know the customers won't understand? They obviously can read and write in english as they are employed in a mainly english speaking country.
     
  • C: It is necessary. These store clerks were breaking the law. Can you imagine what kind of country we're going to have if everybody is allowed to A) go around breaking the law and allowed to speak in a foreign language in public makes a mockery of the justice system and I for one will not stand for that
  • SK I'd have to agree with Flo on this one, although I do understand where other commenters are coming from. However I will say I can understand where it might be inappropriate from a customer service point of view, I think it's a bit much calling it a mockery of the justice system.
  • BB And Cheryl they weren't breaking any law. That's nonsense
  • C.S:  Well, I don't know if it's illegal or not to speak a language other than French or English in public in Canada, but I can understand where the clerk was coming from. I would assume she simply wanted to say something (that probably had NOTHING to do with the customer) and she immediately resorted to her first language. Having a co-worker nearby who speaks that language is just a comfortable coincidence, in her mind. (this is my assumption) I really don't think she was going all "Seinfeld" on the customer and talking trash about her in her native language. But that's just me. I have a healthy self esteem and I rarely ever assume that people are talking trash about me. [Seriously! You'd have to say to my face "I'm talking sh!t about you, Candace"] LOL I hope the Manager of the store explains to the clerk that customer service is a thankless job and sometimes that means you have to go out of your way to deal with people's neuroses and insecurites, however unfair and ridiculous they may seem. That's my 2 cents!
  • M: Give these people a chance! We think and speak in our first language. It's human nature. Perhaps the clerk was flustered and needed some help from her coworker and it was her gut reaction to rely on their mother tongue. And we are going to stand firmly and pretentiously on some language law because of one little "error" (if it can even be called an error) at a grocery store?! And this - coming the day before Folklorama?! Where we celebrate our country's wonderfully diverse population?! Sure, you can gorge on their tasty food but heaven forbid you hear them speaking their own language in your presence? And all because you think they might be talking trash about you? Doubtful! You go try working in a new country and not once slip back into English or French. They aren't trying to be rude, they are trying to survive and get through their day, which can't be great if they are serving racist and insecure customers all day! I wish you luck; you've got a long fall of that high horse of yours. 
  • M.O. I was born and raised in Canada, but we speak mostly Spanish in my home. I still sometimes forget what something is in English. Now imagine someone who is still learning the language. I think that when we take extremes, we become narrow-minded. I think the customer was too preoccupied with what a complete stranger MIGHT have thought/said of her to even consider the clerks point of view.
  • Geoff: To be reprimanded is a bit much I agree. However being from a customer perspective I have walked into 7-11 and they have done nothing but speak their language even with me standing there waiting and while I was paying also and that's disrespectful and shouldn't have to be accepted. 
  • Why do people feel they are so important that as soon as people speak another language in their presence they feel it must be about them. English is not the only language in the world? What happens if the person speaks French? Would anyone be insulted if two French people started talking in their language in front of customer? Would a French person be insulted that he is being served in English and everyone around him speaks in English, would he assume everyone's talking about him or her? Life is not perfect and sometimes we have to assume the best in others. 
  • M,H: But what does it matter? I mean, I have had to lower my expectations of customer service in general over the years. It might be two 7-11 employees talking in a foreign language. It might be two teenage employees at a clothing store chatting about their boyfriends. Either way, I'm pretty tuned out. If the debit machine works and I can walk out of there with my purchase, I'm happy. What more do you need from them?! I think people are being a bit too sensitive as the customer. Chill out, I say.

  •  
    It's fine and dandy to have a plan of attack when an employee is suddenly confused but I think we can all admit plans generally get thrown out the window, especially when that employee can probably tell that the customer is looking fairly impatient/intolerant. At that point, I'm sure they are just looking to expedite the situation and if that means quickly resorting to their first language, than so be it. I refuse to ever pass judgement on someone who is trying to learn English, because I had the advantage of learning English as an infant. It's an extremely complex and ridiculous language and I can't even imagine the pressure that is put on someone who is trying to navigate their way through an English-speaking country when they speak something different. And generally languages and race go together, which is why people are bringing up "the race card". I still don't see what the big deal is,
    but I guess my expectations as the customer are just different than others. 
    MS: I hope you made a fuss to the manager!
    Geoff: I am totally for multi cultures' in this big country we have. My family has taken in home stay students for years and we really enjoy it thoroughly. In saying this I have to give my two cents. A few examples are as follows. In order for you to study in university or college you must have a certain understanding of reading writing and speaking it. I believe it has a class 5 tag to its name? This also goes for many places where you are in the eyes of the public and it's a part of your job to serve them.
    However to say its wrong for them to speak their language walking down the street or in a mall? That would be absurd. The point I am trying to make is that this whole scenario has seemed to strike people in different ways, some good, some bad, and well then just some. To look at it from the outside in its easy to sit back and say what should've happened or not. What could've made it better or worse, but the fact is that what happened has happened. Maybe this customer was having a bad day and she took it out on the cashier? There's always things that aren't seen that is never taken into consideration. Maybe the cashier should have said to the lady excuse me one minute please and whispered to her co worker? Maybe the question could have waited until later? Or maybe it was a necessity at that moment.

    FACT we all have bad days, we all get cranky and rude sometimes, and we all have been impatient as well. I will hope the manager is a manager because if their experience and will deal with it accordingly. That's my two cents
     

     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment