Wednesday 24 October 2012

Philippine Migration Study

Hello - My name is Catherine Bryan, and I am doing a research project called, "Separated but Connected: A Study of Philippine Migration and Care Labour".

Originally from Winnipeg, I am a PhD candidate in Social Anthropology at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I am studying the connection between migrants and non-migrants, through their experiences as domestic workers in Manitoba, and their families in the Philippines.

I want to know how domestic workers meet the needs of their family and employers, both in Manitoba and back home, and how they maintain ongoing support to them. I also want to learn about the effects of migration on those who remain "at home".

To do this research, I will conduct interviews in Manitoba and in the Philippines, where I hope to meet the family members of some of the people I meet in Manitoba.

I am currently recruiting participants in Manitoba - both in and outside of Winnipeg.

Participants must be temporary foreign workers, permanent residents, or Canadian citizens. Their employment in Canada can be formal or informal, full or part-time. Men and women are welcome, and their work could include cooking, cleaning, care giving and maintenance work.

Each interview will last 1-2 hours. All answers will remain confidential and anonymous. The information will be kept for statistical and research purposes only.

This project has received support from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, and has undergone an ethics review process.

If you would like to participate in the project, please contact Catherine at c.bryan@dal.ca or 204-290-9279.

Thanks very much,

Catherine Bryan, PhD Candidate
Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology Dalhousie University
6135 University Avenue
Halifax NS / B3H 4R2
c.bryan@dal.ca / (902) 292 2609
In Manitoba: (204) 960 9279

No comments:

Post a Comment